DYL (aka Developing Youth Leaders Seminar) is a an important opportunity to invest in the continued development of ourselves as leaders responsible for important work in the kingdom of God. Through enriching teaching, discussions, fellowship, and worship, you will enjoy a wonderful time of growth alongside other youth leaders from around the territory. This conference is open to any employee or volunteer actively engaged in Salvation Army youth ministry in the Central Territory, and is the only Salvation Army conference (in the Central Territory) designed to train youth leaders. In short, if you’re in youth ministry, this is worth your time!
This year’s theme is “Making it Stick” — namely, how to make faith stick for a lifetime. We have some big-name special guests you will want to know about:
Who are the special guests?
Chap Clark: Chap will be our special keynote speaker for all three days of DYL. Chapman “Chap” Clark, PhD, is the Associate Provost for Strategic Projects and Professor of Youth, Family and Culture at Fuller Seminary. He is the author of numerous insightful articles and books about teens. He most recently co-authored with Kara Powell the book, Sticky Faith (Zondervan 2011).
Michael Brandwein: Michael is an internationally recognized expert on management, communication, leadership, team-building, and customer service. Michael is best known for his highly practical, “use-it-immediately” approach and entertaining and engaging teaching methods. Successful Meetings magazine selected Michael as one of two “unique, exceptional speakers who provide real entertainment value with important messages that listeners can apply to their jobs immediately.” Corporate Meetings & Incentives magazine identified Michael as one of 15 “sure-thing speakers.”
Laura Murphy – Do you deal with youth who have not developed respect and responsibility? Well, “Love and Logic” has long been known and used by parents and educators in working with youth of all ages. This approach is designed to develop respectful and responsible kids while helping the parent/leader not lose their mind in the process! Laura Murphy is not only a great presenter of the Love and Logic approach, but she also brings her strong faith in Christ to make her case all the more applicable to our role as leaders.
The house worship team will be led by Nate Irvine and Jonathan Taube.
What workshops will be offered?
- Developing Outstanding Young People with Intentional & Dynamic Programs, Terrific Staff Training, & Superb Supervision with Michael Brandwein
- Leading with Love and Logic with Laura Murphy
- The Salvation Army Outdoors – Making Faith Stick! with Major Monty Wandling, Major Charlene Polsley, Jerrie Miller, Bruce McAlister
- Mission Minded Youth with Chris Shay, Mona Taube, and Kristin Caddy
- How to Develop Young Leaders through Service with Rob Bonesteel
- Speak Their Language with Major Angie Wandling
Who should attend DYL?
Anyone who works with youth including DYSs (required), DHQ youth staff, Camp Directors and Camp Staff involved with hiring and programming, paid Youth Workers, Community Center Directors, KROC Youth Development Officers, Good Soil Initiative Staff (required) and volunteer corps youth leaders. In short: ANYONE.
How much does it cost, and how do I register?
- $100.00 per person, travel not included.
- Registration deadline is February 3, 2014.
- Everyone can register through our website
- Registration check-in will begin on Tuesday, February 11, 2014, from 9:00-11:00 am. Lunch will be at noon followed by the welcome meeting at 1:00 pm.
- The seminar concludes on Friday, February 14, 2014, at 11:30, after breakfast and a united worship time.
- There will be a meeting for divisional character building directors on Tuesday at 9:00 am.
Register today! We hope to see you there!