What is Summer Mission Team?
Summer Mission Team (SMT) is a leadership development program that invites young people into a deeper relationship with the Lord through participation in an eight-week team missions experience. While the teams minister with The Salvation Army overseas or throughout the Midwest, they are given the opportunity to discover God’s plan for all people to be part of His Kingdom. Summer Mission Team members also benefit from gaining a broader perspective of The Salvation Army.
Qualifications for Applicants
- Active Salvationist (must own and be willing to wear uniform as assigned)
- 18-28 years of age
- Must have the endorsement of the Corps Officer and Divisional Headquarters.
- Visibly demonstrate love for God and compassion for others.
- Proven leadership ability. Successful involvement in corps or divisional leadership.
- Specific skills and experience in teaching, public speaking, children’s ministry, evangelism, gospel arts or construction.
- Evangelistic zeal and a clear personal witness.
- Knowledge of the Bible
- Emotional and spiritual maturity
- Tolerant personality / Even temperament
- Desire to learn / Teachability
- Friendliness / Approachability
- Hands-on ministry and service experience
- Previous missions experience preferred
How do I apply?
All applicants must complete their application online. Click the link to see a list of detailed instructions for this process. All online applications, endorsement forms, and recommendations must be received by the World Missions Department no later than January 17, 2015. The World Missions Department will present the applications to the Territorial Selection Committee for their review and selection of the Summer Mission Teams during the first full week of February 2015. The second week of February you will be notified that you have been selected for a team, selected as an alternate, or the committee has not been able to place you.