The World Missions Department is pleased to share that the applications for Summer Mission Team (SMT) 2018 are now available! Here are some details about SMT and the application process:
- SMT is a leadership development program which invites young people into a deeper relationship with the Lord through participation in a seven-week team missions experience.
- SMT is available to applicants ages 18-28. Applicants must be 18 by June 11, 2018.
- All applications and endorsements/recommendations will be completed online at centralmissions.org/smt2018. A completed application will include:
- Online application
- Corps Officer Endorsement
- DYS Endorsement
- DC (or Divisional Representative) Endorsement
- Recommendation #1 – completed by a Teacher or Employer
- Recommendation #2 – completed by a Spiritual Mentor
- Recommendation #3 – completed by an adult non-relative who can comment on the applicant’s character, spiritual life and work ethic.
- It is the responsibility of each applicant to distribute endorsement/recommendation forms and follow up with the World Missions Department to make sure all application materials have been received by the February 21, 2018 deadline.
- The SMT announcement will be made by Friday, March 9. Team members will need to report for SMT March orientation at THQ in Hoffman Estates from March 23-25.
- While applications will be submitted directly to the World Missions Department, we are happy to email the applications to any corps officers or divisional staff who would like to review them before giving their endorsement. To request a copy of an application, send an email to [email protected] and be sure to indicate the applicant’s name!
- This year we plan to have 5 SMTs – 3 overseas teams, 1 Central Territory Team, and 1 CAST (Creative Arts Service Team). CAST will be organized in cooperation with the Territorial Music & Gospel Arts Department. All applicants will complete the same application, but those interested in CAST will be required to submit additional application materials and a video audition at a later date. (The Territorial Music & Gospel Arts
- Department will be in contact with CAST applicants directly to communicate these requirements.)
- The deadline for all application materials is February 21, 2018.
Through the years we have seen great outcomes from the SMT program with over 14% going on to become Salvation Army officers, many taking up their place as local Salvation Army leaders, and the vast majority who continue to walk with and grow in the Lord throughout their adulthood. We believe SMT is a great program, and we hope you consider applying.